Preventing Youth Drug and Alcohol Use
Do you see any of these behaviors in a young person you love?
- Mood changes
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Unexplained weight loss or gain
- Withdrawal from family, friends, and/or activities
- Change in peer relationships
- Unexplained physical injuries
- Lingering sadness/depression
- Talk of suicide
- Defiant behavior at home and school
- Aggressiveness/physical altercations
- Drop in grades
- Unexplained need for money
- Experimentation with drugs and alcohol
Even if you know the red flags, it can be difficult to distinguish signs of a problem from normal childhood behavior. For more information, contact Clearfield-Jefferson Drug and Alcohol Commission at 814-371-9002.
The best prevention starts at home! Talk to your child about the dangers of drugs and alcohol, set clear boundaries and rules regarding drug/alcohol use, and encourage your child to always come to you with questions or concerns. The Clearfield-Jefferson Drug and Alcohol Commission has resources for parents and family members to help guide these important conversations. Call CJDAC at 814-371-9002 for more information.